Friday, January 11, 2013

On Writing a Novel

The most important point about writing a novel is: writing it. The mere size of a novel is so huge, so large with so many moving parts, that, staying put and keeping pen to paper - rather, finger to keypad - and keeping at it, is the key to writing it.

The many 'How-to' books do help, as I have discovered last December. December 2012 is the most important month in my life as far as novel writing goes. I discovered Karen S Weisner and her book 'First Draft in 30 Days'. I didn't stop once I started reading it. Simultaneously I started following instructions. I am amazed at how useful the worksheets have turned out.

Now, the understand why I used to get overwhelmed working on novels, and was forced to stop after a few chapters every time. That way, I started several different novels, without finishing them. And now, the whole thing is becoming so easy. I am glad I came upon this book.

I've learnt the importance of brainstorming and doing research before writing even a word of the novel. It's all about planning and organizing. The more meticulous one's plan is, the easier the writing becomes.

Does this mean the end of creativity? Is there no place for creativity in fiction writing? I disagree. The creativity flows where it is needed the most - in writing the novel or the story, and not in going back and forth to iron out details after the story is written.

No comments:

Post a Comment