Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Dragon - my Experience with this Software

I have been looking for this kind of a software for a long. This will be quite a useful tool for me. I am very confident that this tool will be regularly utilized by me to write stories and novels. This is a long unfulfilled need, and I am very glad that I found it.

Mostly I want to focus on my novel. I have a feeling that by using Dragon, I would be able to accomplish more. The speed at which I would progress would be much faster. The volume of work output would be larger. It is the first day today, and I am moving very slowly. With more practice, I am sure that speed will become better. My vocabulary pronunciation will also get incorporated into the software.

There are so many things that I have wanted to write about, but have not done so. With the use of Dragon, I would be able to put down many thoughts into words. Many ideas would take concrete form. There are so many things that I want to talk about. Moreover, narration of this kind is so much like conventional storytelling. In storytelling of the past, the spoken word was the mainstay of entertainment. Much before the written word was discovered, much before the alphabets were used, it was either words or pictures.

In communication with words, at least one sense organ comes useful. In storytelling, the mouth and ears are the main organs. The mouth of the storyteller pronounces the story, the ears of the audience hears the story. While reading a manuscript or a book, the eyes are the primary organs. And while writing a book, the hand and the eyes are majorly involved.

The use of Dragon software in writing is an interactive and enjoyable activity. The process of writing a story or a novel has been made into a very serious and academic affair. But, in the real profession of a writer, when writing is conceived to be as serious as this, the enjoyment in the storytelling is thrown out of the window. Is there any reason to take writing so seriously and handle it with the extent of caution it is done?

As an artist and an author, all these years, when i compare the two now, I realize that I have enjoyed doing my paintings much more. I have lost track of time when I have worked in my art studio. I enjoy writing tremendously too. But, until now, it had been more about forcibly trying to enjoy it. It had not been innocent and spontaneous joy. With this voice recognition software, I can see immediately that I am enjoying this different way of narrating my stories. Instead of the ink pen or the computer keyboard, I am interacting with my voice and the screen. I can notice that this way, the quality of my input is better. I am also less bored or tired. Narrating a story has made it less intense, and therefore less strenuous.

I am so thankful to God that I discovered Dragon.

1 comment:

  1. Is it working well for you? I tried putting Dragon on my comp a few years ago, but my computer was not up to the challenge. It was too slow. I should try it again with my new computer.

    Are you able to use it when you are not at your computer and then download it?

    ReplyDelete