Friday, November 19, 2010

Watching TV serials versus reading books



The problem with television serials is that they are serial. Like Desperate Housewives, or American Idol, or Barefoot Contessa, or Wife Swap. They come on the tube periodically, either every day, or once a week, or twice a week. It makes you follow the story closely. One has to know what happened to one's favorite character, whether she left her house to stay on her own, or got divorced, etc.

But the problem with one kind of a serial is unique. They are the popular comedy serials. I wonder if it is only with me, or everyone else. I love comedy serials. King of Queens, Seinfeld, Two and a Half Men, Reba, are a few that I adore. It is not far to find the reason why. They make me laugh. They make me look into everyday situations with humor, they make me take life a little less seriously.

I love reading books too. I have so many favorite authors that I can't count them on my fingers. And I have read so many books in the past that it will fill up a small library. A major part of what I am is the written word. My sister says that only if I read something do I believe it. That much faith I have on the printed word.

No comments:

Post a Comment